PLACES TO VISIT | CASTLES AND FORTS

Campo Maior Castle

englishespañol
Campo Maior Castle
Location Praça Velha
7370-034 CAMPO MAIOR
District:Portalegre
County :Campo Maior
Parish:Nossa Senhora da Expectação
Contacts


This is the second most important fortress of Campo Maior district, after Elvas fortress, due to its extension and its configuration. Integrated in the Portuguese territory by Alcanizes Treaty (concluded with Léon kingdom in 1297), Campo Maior Castle would be rebuilt a decade after by D. Dinis. Later on it was enlargened and improved by D. João II and D. Manuel. The works carried on during the 17th and the 18th centuries, bearing in mind the adaptation to the newest fire techniques, as well as the construction of new buildings. In 1732 the keep’s gunpowder magazine destroyed both the castle and the village. They would be later rebuilt in the middle of the 19th century.

MORE INFORMATION

Responsable: Instituto Português Património Arquitectónico e Arqueológico de Évora

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

MORE INFORMATION

Responsable: Instituto Português Património Arquitectónico e Arqueológico de Évora

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização Praça Velha
7370-034 CAMPO MAIOR
Distrito:Portalegre
County:Campo Maior
Parish:Nossa Senhora da Expectação
Contactos


If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter