PLACES TO VISIT | MONASTERIES AND CHURCHES

Carmo Convent

portuguêsenglishespañol
Carmo Convent
Location Largo do Carmo
1200-092 LISBOA
District:Lisbon
County :Lisbon
Parish:Sacramento
Contacts Tel:213478629
Fax:213244252

Carmo Convent, located next to the elegant Chiado quarter, in Lisbon, was erected by Nuno Álvares Pereira in the end of the 14th century, after Aljubarrota battle. It was a magnificent Gothic construction, as the great ruins now testify, following the devastation caused by the 1755 earthquake. The convent houses Carmo military headquarters. Besieged by the military forces and the people in 1974, Marcelo Caetano, the last Council President during the dictatorship period, took refuge here, until the final surrender. Nowadays the Carmo Ruins are occupied by Carmo Archaeological Museum and by the Association of Portuguese Archaeologists.

www.guiadacidade.pt/pt/poi-ruinas-da-igreja-e-do-convento-do-carmo-14012

MORE INFORMATION

Closing days: Sundays

Year of construction: 1393

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

MORE INFORMATION

Closing days: Sundays

Year of construction: 1393

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização Largo do Carmo
1200-092 LISBOA
Distrito:Lisbon
County:Lisbon
Parish:Sacramento

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter