PLACES TO VISIT | MONASTERIES AND CHURCHES

Church of Santa Maria do Castelo

englishespañol
Church of Santa Maria do Castelo
Location Parada General Abel Hipólito Fortaleza do Castelo de Abrantes
2200- ABRANTES
District:Santarém
County :Abrantes
Parish:São João
Contacts Tel:241371724


This church was erected by King D. Afonso II in 1275. It was later rebuilt in the 15th century and Gothic and Manueline features were added to it by D. Diogo Fernandes de Almeida, main alcalde of Abrantes, after being destroyed by the 1429 earthquake. The single-nave interior presents a Gothic triumphal arch, 15th century tombs of D. Diogo de Almeida, D. Lopo de Almeida and D. João de Almeida, as well as some Spanish-Arab tile panels, which are quite rare in Portugal. In present day, you will find here Municipal Museum D. Lopo de Almeida with sculpture, archaeology, painting and sacred art collections.

MORE INFORMATION

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

MORE INFORMATION

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização Parada General Abel Hipólito Fortaleza do Castelo de Abrantes
2200- ABRANTES
Distrito:Santarém
County:Abrantes
Parish:São João
Contactos Tel:241371724


If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter