FERREIRA DO ALENTEJO
Land of fishing and hunting
Ferreira do Alentejo has been inhabited since immemorial times, as seen in the abundant archaeological heritage, dating back to the Chalcolithic, Visigoth, Roman and Arab periods. Ferreira was conquered to the Moors in 1233, and it was donated to Santiago Order. In 1516, Ferreira do Alentejo was given the “foral” (Royal document) by King D. Manuel. This essentially agricultural council is mainly based on the production of cereals (wheat and corn), beetroot and tomato. The council’s area offers good conditions for fishing, not only in Odivelas dam, but also in smaller reservoirs. It also provides a significant number of hunting zones. In terms of architectural heritage, there are some noble buildings, such as Quinta de S. Vicente. Calvário Chapel is also noteworthy, due to its rather curious architecture.