PLACES TO VISIT | HISTORIC VILLAGES AND TOWNS

Idanha-a-Velha – Historical Village

englishespañol
Idanha-a-Velha – Historical Village
Location
6060-041 IDANHA-A-VELHA
District:Castelo Branco
County :Idanha-a-Nova
Parish:Idanha-a-Velha
Contacts


MORE INFORMATION

Number of inhabitants: 90

Description of the place: This small village, located 15 km away from Idanha-a-Nova, was a former Roman city and parish headquarters under Visigoth ruling. In the end of the 19th century, Idanha-a-Velha was called “Civitas Igaediranorum”, a Roman city situated by the great Roman path that connected Merida (Spain) to Braga. The Baptismal font and attached ruins, as well as the cathedral are remains of the Visigoth era. However, the cathedral was firstly transformed in a mosque and later in a Christian temple. By the foundation of Portugal, the keep was supposedly built upon the podium of a Roman temple. In the last decades, the village was renewed under the Historical Villages’ programme, which has restored many of its monuments and created a small museum centre, presenting a Portuguese Roman epigraphy collection. An ancient olive oil press room was also restored, housing a worth visiting museum nowadays.

Points of interest: Wall remains from Roman times as well as a semi-cylindrical tower; Roman bridge; Pillory; Visigoth cathedral which was restored during the reign of King Manuel in 1510 (outside there is an attached construction where one can still see the Visigoth baptistery); Paço dos Bispos Egitanenses; Museum; Archaeological Station of Egitânia and the Igreja Matriz with Manuelan reconstruction.

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

MORE INFORMATION

Number of inhabitants: 90

Description of the place: This small village, located 15 km away from Idanha-a-Nova, was a former Roman city and parish headquarters under Visigoth ruling. In the end of the 19th century, Idanha-a-Velha was called “Civitas Igaediranorum”, a Roman city situated by the great Roman path that connected Merida (Spain) to Braga. The Baptismal font and attached ruins, as well as the cathedral are remains of the Visigoth era. However, the cathedral was firstly transformed in a mosque and later in a Christian temple. By the foundation of Portugal, the keep was supposedly built upon the podium of a Roman temple. In the last decades, the village was renewed under the Historical Villages’ programme, which has restored many of its monuments and created a small museum centre, presenting a Portuguese Roman epigraphy collection. An ancient olive oil press room was also restored, housing a worth visiting museum nowadays.

Points of interest: Wall remains from Roman times as well as a semi-cylindrical tower; Roman bridge; Pillory; Visigoth cathedral which was restored during the reign of King Manuel in 1510 (outside there is an attached construction where one can still see the Visigoth baptistery); Paço dos Bispos Egitanenses; Museum; Archaeological Station of Egitânia and the Igreja Matriz with Manuelan reconstruction.

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização
6060-041 IDANHA-A-VELHA
Distrito:Castelo Branco
County:Idanha-a-Nova
Parish:Idanha-a-Velha
Contactos


If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter