PLACES TO VISIT | CASTLES AND FORTS

Juromenha Fortress

englishespañol
Juromenha Fortress
Location
7250-242 JUROMENHA
District:Évora
County :Alandroal
Parish:Juromenha (Nossa Senhora do Loreto)
Contacts


Juromenha became a village and county seat under D. Dinis reign. The Islamic defence walls have been strengthened by the construction of 17 square towers, whereas the keep is 45m high. The royal marriages of Afonso IV de Portugal to Beatriz de Castela and Afonso XI de Castela to Maria de Portugal took place here. Part of the castle was destroyed in 1659 after the explosion of a gunpowder magazine. The paths of 13th and 17th century walls have remained to the present time, along with the ruins of Paços do Concelho, Casa do Governador and the keep. Medieval weepholes, 16th century bastions, gaps, bartizans and cannon batteries still prevail in the right bank of the Guadiana, which became thicker due to the filling of Alqueva dam.

MORE INFORMATION

Responsable: Direcção-Geral do Património do Estado

Present Use: Surrounding the ruins is a small rural locality.

Observations: Property with National Interest

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

MORE INFORMATION

Responsable: Direcção-Geral do Património do Estado

Present Use: Surrounding the ruins is a small rural locality.

Observations: Property with National Interest

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização
7250-242 JUROMENHA
Distrito:Évora
County:Alandroal
Parish:Juromenha (Nossa Senhora do Loreto)
Contactos


If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter