PLACES TO VISIT | CASTLES AND FORTS

Mourão Castle

englishespañol
Mourão Castle
Location Rua Freire António Chagas
7240-252 MOURÃO
District:Évora
County :Mourão
Parish:Mourão
Contacts Tel:266586240


After being conquered to the Moors by D. Afonso Henriques in 1166, Mourão Castle was integrated in the Portuguese Crown in 1271 as dowry of Spanish princess D. Beatriz de Gusmão for the marriage to D. Afonso III. Mourão castle was reinforced by D. Dinis. In 1657 it was rebuilt according to defensive rules. Seven bastions were built around the old castle. Church Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora das Candeias was also rebuilt. The image of the patron saint was the only thing that remained from the former church. This was the only building inside the castle (annual feast on February 2nd). The landscape has deeply changed, since this castle is located next to Alqueva reservoir.It is therefore a privileged viewpoint upon the great lake.

www.cm-mourao.pt/pt/conteudos/o%20concelho/historia/castelo.htm

MORE INFORMATION

Responsable: Direcção-Geral do Património do Estado

Present Use: Inside the walls where once stood the old town, the Casa da Guarda and the old Paços do Concelho.

Observations: Property with National Interest

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

MORE INFORMATION

Responsable: Direcção-Geral do Património do Estado

Present Use: Inside the walls where once stood the old town, the Casa da Guarda and the old Paços do Concelho.

Observations: Property with National Interest

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização Rua Freire António Chagas
7240-252 MOURÃO
Distrito:Évora
County:Mourão
Parish:Mourão

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter