PLACES TO VISIT | AND PALACES

Town Hall Building

englishespañol
Town Hall Building
Location
6290-345 GOUVEIA
District:Guarda
County :Gouveia
Parish:São Pedro
Contacts


Town Hall building (former Holy Trinity College) dates back to the 18th century. D. Maria Ferreira ordered its construction as Latin and Moral school. Jesuit priests were in charge of the teaching, until they were expelled in 1759. Throughout the centuries this was a multipurpose building: a shelter for the religious nuns of Loreto Convent (from Almeida); military headquarters; military hospital; district court and public prison. In 1964, the building underwent conservation and restoring works, in order to carefully preserve its original architectural features, especially the main façade with the national coat of arms in the centre. In the main hall, you will observe two granite bass-relieves: the left one represents the moment when Gouveia was given the “foral” (Royal document), while the right one illustrates the delivery of Monte Aljão by King D. Manuel to the citizens of Gouveia. The indoor patio is also worth visiting.

MORE INFORMATION

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização
6290-345 GOUVEIA
Distrito:Guarda
County:Gouveia
Parish:São Pedro
Contactos


If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter