PLACES TO VISIT | CASTLES AND FORTS

Walls and connected works of Elvas Square

englishespañol
Walls and connected works of Elvas Square
Location
7350- ELVAS
District:Portalegre
County :Elvas
Parish:Alcáçova
Contacts


Foreseeing a long and difficult struggle against the powerful Spanish neighbour, Artillery General Rui Correia Lucas designed in 1643 the new fortified square according to the most advanced concepts of the time, in collaboration with foreign military engineers, called by King D. João IV after the restoration of Portuguese independence in 1640. Cosmander and Nicolau de Langres are some of those names. The plan of the fortified square is an uneven polygon. The biggest diameter measures a thousand meters, whereas the smallest diameter measures six hundred and fifty meters. It has seven bastions, four half bastions and a small fort, all of them connected by wall curtains with three main doors: Olivença in the South, Esquina in the West and São Vicente in Northeast.

MORE INFORMATION

Responsable: Direcção-Geral do Património do Estado

Observations: Property with National Interest

If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

Localização
7350- ELVAS
Distrito:Portalegre
County:Elvas
Parish:Alcáçova
Contactos


If any of the information is incorrect, please send an email to lifecooler office

OUR CHOICES

See all regions

Follow LifecoolerEng on Twitter